Nigeria: Siemens Bribery Scandal- My Hands Are Clean - Chief Cornelius Adebayo

Nigeria: Siemens - My Hands Are Clean - Adebayo

Leadership (Abuja)

20 November 2007
Posted to the web 20 November 2007

By Golu Timothy

Former Minister of Communications, Chief Cornelius Adebayo has denied any involvement in the alleged bribe scandal involving a German telecom giant, SIEMENS, saying those who seek to draw him into the controversy are not fair to him. In a statement made available to LEADERSHIP last night and personally signed by the former minister, he said, he never at any point in time entangled himself throughout his four decades in public service, and therefore, it should not be at this age and time, that he will mess up his hard earned integrity. "My attention has been drawn to media reports as it affects Siemens in Nigeria, wherein my name has been mentioned with the allegation of collecting bribe at some 'unknown time after 2002'.

While the fact remains that I was minister of Communications between July 2003 and August 2006, I wish to state very clearly that I never demanded, neither did I receive bribe from officials of Siemens or of any other company in the discharge of my responsibilities.


According to Adebayo, "I have had an unblemished career in the public service spanning almost four decades, I have a reputation for integrity and I am under no political pressure so I fail to understand what temptation remained that I could not overcome well after age 60".

He added that, "It is gratifying that President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua has directed the security agencies to get to the root of this matter and I am confident that when that process is completed, this unjustified and unjustifiable stain will be removed from my hard-earned name", he said.

AllAfrica.com, November 20, 2007



No man is without sin, but in public service, the former Minister of Communications, Chief Cornelius Adebayo was never found wanting. I was disappointed when I saw his name among those found guilty of complicity in case of bribery and corruption against Siemens of Germany.

He can deny that he never gave or received any bribe, but denial would not be enough to declare him innocent. He has to prove that he is not guilty and not implicated directly or indirectly by ommission or commission.

He would retain his dignity and integrity and regain his long standing probity by providing the facts in court.

We must say the truth and damn the wrath of the earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addax Petroleum Announces Federal Government Approval of Nigeria Gas Utilisation Initiative

Terrorist Attacks on America Before Osama Bin Laden Was Born : 1920 -2005.